TAPRegExt erratum, Identifiers for Obscore

Robert J. Hanisch hanisch at stsci.edu
Wed Dec 11 07:58:48 PST 2013

Well, if it's good enough for W3C, I guess it's good enough for us!

From: <Laurino>, Omar <olaurino at head.cfa.harvard.edu<mailto:olaurino at head.cfa.harvard.edu>>
Date: Wednesday, 11 December 2013 10:55 AM
To: "Robert J. Hanisch" <hanisch at stsci.edu<mailto:hanisch at stsci.edu>>
Cc: Mark Taylor <m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk<mailto:m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk>>, "dal at ivoa.net<mailto:dal at ivoa.net>" <dal at ivoa.net<mailto:dal at ivoa.net>>, "dm at ivoa.net<mailto:dm at ivoa.net>" <dm at ivoa.net<mailto:dm at ivoa.net>>
Subject: Re: TAPRegExt erratum, Identifiers for Obscore

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Robert J. Hanisch <hanisch at stsci.edu<mailto:hanisch at stsci.edu>> wrote:

I still worry about errata and the document they refer to becoming
separated.

There are always going to be some unavoidable issues with errata, but if we decided to go down the two-document path (for what is worth I lean toward this option for several reasons) I think we can ensure that the link to the errata document is clear enough to not be missed.

In the end, I believe the two approaches can be made equivalent, but making the errata a different document should ensure, in the long run, that this kind of edits are very crisp and down to the point, just as Markus' one. If one reopens a REC document (maybe even bumping the version), there might be the temptation to squeeze in any number of small edits here and there.

As far as I know this is also the W3C policy, e.g.
All Recommendations have errors in them. They link to an errata page that evolves over time. [...] the errata page changes over time but a specific version of a Recommendation does not [...]

http://www.w3.org/2001/06/manual/#Errata

Omar.

--
Omar Laurino