TAP Notes

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Dec 6 04:33:39 PST 2013

Markus,

Thanks, you've done a good job on Note-ifying these requirements.
I'm quite happy to be added to the author list.

I have committed a small number of uncontroversial edits to TAPNotes.html
(which I think is the source file?) for typos etc.

Other slightly more substantial points:

Sec 2.1.2:

I think the heading of the table is wrong: fix is to replace

      <th span="3">VOTable</th>

with

      <th colspan="3">VOTable</th>

I must admit I don't really understand the proposal of section 2.1.2,
or maybe I just don't get its motivation.  The text about ensuring
that numeric operations should be possible on types that derive
from columns which were numeric in the tables uploaded makes sense,
but what does it mean to say that a VOTable short should become an
ADQL SMALLINT, given that SMALLINT is not defined in ADQL?

Sec 3.1.2:

"The payload of such an error message SHOULD be a VOTable formatted
 as a std:DALI-compliant error message."

DALI says the error document MAY be a VOTable or it can be plain text.
I'm not really a fan of using VOTables as error containers
(what's it for?) so I'm -1 for recommending it here.  At least I
wouldn't deprecate plain text error messages, maybe even recommend them.

Sec 3.2.1:

In principle a quote is for a job which could be started at any
point (not just now), so quoting an absolute end time doesn't
make sense.  From that point of view number of seconds is better
than ISO8601.

Also using ISO8601 includes time zone complications, but it seems like
it's already used for destruction time, in which case this isn't
introducing any problem that's not already present.

Probably nobody ever provides useful quotes for TAP services anyway
though, so I wouldn't advocate too much sweat here.

Sec 4.2.1.1:

The access URL in the example is http://localhost:8080/tap/tapexampless.
If I understand the text correctly, shouldn't this be of the form

?

Appendix A:

Formatted HTML contains a "<" sign.  Fix is to replace

   and minEpoch<1900

with

   and minEpoch&lt;1900