[SIAv2] query params

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Dec 5 06:29:04 PST 2013

Dear DAL list,

Sorry for reiterating this, but as noone else has answered so far:

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 10:04:30AM -0800, Patrick Dowler wrote:
> * Questions *
>
> 1. Is there an established use case I am forgetting that says
> extension parameter support is essential for the initial SIAv2 query
> interface?

I don't know about "established", but "support for theory data,
maintaining cross-service discovery" comes to my mind immediately.

> 2. Do we *really* need this in 2.0? Can we wait for 2.x?
> - it is true that if we adopt something like the proposed mechanisms
> for spatial/temporal/spectral query params that this impacts a param
> description to be developed later

Well, after the experiences of implementing an SSA client that tries
to do non-cone multi-service queries I keep maintaining that proper
parameter metadata declaration (at least the valid ranges and an
valid values for enumerated parameters) is a must even for "standard"
parameters, at least if there are optional ones or if there are
optional features for some of them.  Both conditions are met for
current SIAv2 drafts.

If you disagree with any of this, please speak up and I'll shut up.

If you agree, however, we have to figure that problem out for 2.0
anyway.  And if we figure it out for the standard parameters, I
maintain we get the extension parameters for free, so the whole
question becomes moot.

Cheers,

        Markus