WD-DataLink-1.0

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Mon Dec 2 15:04:12 PST 2013

Trying to being this thread back to life since it is more or less the
last thing to do for DataLink...

On 11/13/2013 01:18 PM, Arnold Rots wrote:
> Actually, my reservation about the list is that it is precisely someone's
> known/custom/esoteric metadata set.
> It takes a very narrow view of the calibration scene.
> It works nicely for optical imaging data, but that's about it.
> Radio, high energy, and generally spectral data are poorly served.

Which list exactly do you have reservations about? The one in the WD has
only a few very general values:

science
calibration
preview
info
auxiliary

and is complete at least in the sense that you can throw anything into
the last category :-)

The above list is broadly applicable. Other proposals are to add more
detail, which inherently brings more engineering/energy-domain-specific
kinds of terms into play.

** Questions **

Can we just live with the above categories for DataLink-1.0? People that
implement a DataLink service are free to add additional columns to the
response if the need to add details... we could see from experience if
additional detail was needed and feasible and add something later.

Is there a  better name than semantics for this field that describes the
link? I really don't like things like "data class" or "data type" for
this as they are also vague and confusing.

National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9A 2L9

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)