DataLink issues

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Wed Sep 26 12:37:16 PDT 2012

On 2012-09-26 07:05:15 Petr Skoda wrote:
> IMHO DL has a sense only without the parameters - just to discovery more
> representations od data available in archive. Here I support fully Doug !

My sense from the splinter sessions in Urbana was that everyone agreed with
this idea: DataLink does not itself take much in terms of parameters *but* it
does have to be able to describe both links to static data products data
products and links to services that perform some processing such as you and MD
have described.

In addition to "big data" that cannot be feasibly downloaded and cutouts in
regular data to make client work straightforward, the Theory people need this
as well since they access to "data products" -- maybe exclusively -- that
require cutouts of some form and often along custom axes.

I am planning the interop sessions now and will devote considerable time to
DataLink and DataAccess and the boundary between them.

Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2M7

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7