DataLink issues

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Sep 6 14:40:22 PDT 2012

Dear all,
        Last interop confirmed there was interest in the DataLink
concept , defined as a "way to find related resources to datasets via a
web service"
       This is needed either as a complement to Data services (ObsTap,
Tap, S*A service) or to SimDal...
A general agreement was made on input/output (PublisherDID/ VOtable with
links) and on a general concept for the structure of the links "records"

There are  still a couple of issues, however:

          -- Is "DataLink" a real full DAL service with recording in the
IVOA registries ? Or is just a web service refered in the main services
query responses ?
The  first case requires  dataset ID to be a real PublisherDID. For the
latter case an internal  DatasetID could be sufficient....

         -- One of our use cases is "related access to another DAL
service". Another one  "Internal access  to complex datasets (archives,
MEFS ....)....
The first use case can be some "AccessData" method of the DAL service
performing some dynamic transformation on the dataset. The actual
transformation is
  driven by the parameters values of the method. Probably "AccessData"
URL of the service, without any parameter, could answer with a VOTABLE
describing available parameters for the dataset...
             For the internal access to complex datasets, the May 2012
DataLink draft proposed a little model for internal structure "mappable"
on response VOTABLE FIELDs
This has been criticized as an "ad hoc" solution for our MEF or tar
archives examples...
             Another solution could be "extended URI" (Norman Gray
proposal). But the rightmost part of the URI is not interpretable anyway...
             A new proposal (Laurent Michel) could be that the link to
the complex dataset  provides a list of parameters allowing to extract
the various subparts of the dataset.
Something rather similar to the "AccessData" link behavior, eventually

Your comments are welcomed. We have to modify the May draft to go
forward at netx interop

Best regards
François