DALI: HTTP errors and VOTable

Laurent MICHEL laurent.michel at unistra.fr
Mon Oct 29 11:50:58 PDT 2012

Hello,

I'd just come back to the Pat's proposal about the handling of HTTP
errors in DALI.
The question was to require (or not) services compliant with DALI to
return a VOTable in case of HTTP error 4xx or 5xx.
 From my point of view, there is at least one strong technical reason
pleading against this requirement.

If the Dali application is running on a Tomcat server and if it has been
unpublished from some reason, then Tomcat returns an error 404. If Dali
requires a VOTable top be returned, Tomcat must be configured to return
this VOTable. That can be conflicting with other services running on the
same server (I don't know if a per application setup can be set at
server level). In any cases, DALI specifications shouldn't go out of the
application scope.

So I suggest to keep this optional.

Bye
LM

--
---- Laurent MICHEL              Tel  (33 0) 3 68 85 24 37
      Observatoire de Strasbourg  Fax  (33 0) 3 68 85 24 32
      11 Rue de l'Universite      Mail laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
      67000 Strasbourg (France)   Web  http://astro.u-strasbg.fr/~michel
---