Notes from AAS IVOA footprint tag up

Alberto Micol amicol.ivoa at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 18 07:24:55 PST 2012

This is a fantastic step ahead! Thank you so much.

Now, taken by enthusiasm as I am, I want to immediately implement it.

Would you know whether a library that can parse, digest, and maybe plot
a generic STC-s region exist?

I need something that can deal with, eg:

Union ICRS TOPOCENTER
(Circle 180 10 20
Circle 190 20 20
Intersection
   (Circle 120 -10 20
     Difference  (Circle 130 -10 20  Circle 125 -10 2)
    Not  (Circle 118 -8 3)
   )
)

<thinkingloud>Mmmhh... do I really need such  a complex beast?</
thinkingloud>

I think that:
- 70-90% of the DAL cases will have to deal with a single polygon;
- 10-30% of the cases will be for a simple UNION of polygons (eg for
multi chip cameras)
- 1% of the remaining cases will be for quite complex regions, like
the one described above.

Please correct me if you think my stats do not represent real *DAL*
usage.
Looking at the DAL standards already available or in the making, DAL
does not seem
concerned by more complex shapes like for example the sky coverage of
a survey
(see for example the final SDSS sky coverage: http://www.sdss.org/includes/sideimages/orangespider.html
  ).

Therefore I find asking asking myself:

<morethinkingloud>

- how many providers will implement a complex library to handle all
possible the cases?

- does such library already exist (and for which language)?

- otherwise, is it foolish to suggest to limit the usage of an STC-s
region in DAL to few representative cases
that cover 95% (or more) of the DAL cases (e.g. single polygon, union
of 2 or more polygons, plus maybe the NOT operator to describe holes) ?

- otherwise, is there the need (for lazy providers) to have two
different votable fields:
   (1) s_region: the full and potentially complex region,
   (2) s_polygon (invented here): the higher level polygon that
inscribes the s_region
  ?   (s_polygon would be a LOCATION, while s_region a SUPPORT, in
chardm  speak);

- is it maybe just me being too lazy?

</morethinkingloud>

Just thinking loud, to stimulate discussion (but I think lowering
implementation costs is always good).

Eager to know what you think,

Thanks a lot, it is really a great news,
Alberto