How to consume TAP and SIAP for lightcurve survey ?

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Sun Dec 23 03:31:39 PST 2012

Hi Petr, Pierre, all
Le 14/12/2012 08:49, Pierre Fernique a écrit :
> Bonjour Petr,
>
> Concerning Aladin questions.
>
> Unfortunately you are right about the lack of query time parameter in
> VO protocols, notably in SIA. But it is quite easy to describe an
> ad-hoc service taking into account the time scale, either as an
> extension of SIA query parameters, or as a totally different service.
> If you have a HTTP image cutout service, you can describe the required
> query parameters as a GLU record (see this section in the FAQ:
> http://aladin.u-strasbg.fr/java/FAQ.htx#ToC63 and the example below).
> Aladin will build automatically the corresponding form (in server
> selector) and you will be able to query your image service by time.
>
> Obviously, the result stream must be understand by Aladin. So it can
> be SIA, IDHA (old alternative of SIA), directly a resulting image
> (FITS, JPEG...) or via a VOTable classical catalog with LINK system
> pointing to your images. This last method is very close to your need
> that you were describing by TAP result.
> In fact, I think that presently Aladin consumes TAP result as a
> classical source catalog (if there are coordinates) at the difference
> that the URLs in TAP will be just understood as "simple" http links =>
> will open your browser instead of loading the result into Aladin. You
> could patch your TAP result by adding in the <FIELD> of your image
> URLs the magic XML tag <LINK content-type="image/fits"/>. In this
> case, Aladin should replace the simple link by button allowing you to
> load the pointed image. See corresponding section in VOTable 1.2 recom
> (in annexe section). I join to my mail a SIA result (I do not have TAP
> example) patched as I described (removed all "VOX: ucd" for forcing
> Aladin to load this VOTable as a classical catalog, and add the LINK
> element). So you just have to load this file in Aladin (see screen
> dump below).
>
> Another precision, in case of SIA result (not patched), you keep the
> possibility to filter/sort the result tree. Click right on the result
> and select "sort" option. It is clearly less flexible.
>
> About SIAPv2, please point me the recommandation. ;-)

There is a draft  since 3 years there:

http://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/SiaInterface/WD-SIAP-2.0-20091104.pdf

This document has driven very little attention so far, but the situation
is changing rapidly.
       - The  commitee of science priorities has identified SIAP2 to be
a priority for radio data, radio cubes
       - Concrete discussions and decisions occured around the Sao Paulo
meeting :
                      * reviewing the document from the radio point of
view (JO Lazio did it and it was encouraging. Alma people - F.Stoehr-
allready had a look before)
                      * groups engagig to prototype SIA servers before
                                 - Spanish VO (Enrique)
                                 - VAO, NRAO
                                 - CDS, via a trainee starting en January
        - Interfacing a SIA2 prototype to Aladin is possible by the very
same technics described by Pierre here and has allready been tested.
There is no problem on the client side, I think.

Best regards and Happy christmas to everybody
François