Support for data containing NaN values

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Sep 26 06:40:40 PDT 2011

Regarding -inf, I don't think that there is any special VO compliance
issue here, but I would question the idea of using -inf to flag bad
values, unless perhaps the data is such that absence of data can be
presumed to imply a large negative value.  While -inf is better than,
say, 9999, it is likely to cause problems when processing data to
do something like assess its range or calculate statistics.
In the absence of a way of flagging a true null value, NaN would
seem like a less problematic choice.

Just my $0.02.

Mark