Support for data containing NaN values

Mike Fitzpatrick fitz at noao.edu
Mon Sep 26 02:40:56 PDT 2011

I took the question differently:  If VO allows FITS  data, and
FITS data allows NaN, then apps should of course allow
for this.  OTOH, if the question is whether "VO data" as is
serialized in a VOTable allows NaN values the I think the
answer is 'no' (but I'd have to check).  There are similar issues
with how NULL values are handled, but again it depends on
whether it is in the serialized VOTable or the end data product
being accessed.  The DAL protocols don't say anything about
NaN/NULL beyond how they might be serialized, FITS is FITS
and if that's what the app retrieves in the end and then that is
the standard to follow when interpreting the data.  Was that
your question?

My $0.02,
-Mike