utype for STC region in SIAP query response

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 1 16:40:03 PDT 2011

This would be a fine solution, considering only STC; however it is
perfectly legal for a DM to be based upon other models (in a way defined
by the new model such as Char or SIA) and define new, more
application-specific Utypes.  There is an especially strong argument for
this for essential elements of the new model so that we have a well
defined and self consistent model.  "Falling through" to reference
arbitrary elements of another model, with its own externally defined
namespace, is fine for extension but could significantly expand the
complexity of the new model as a client application might then need to
fully understand multiple models to be able to deal with the data.  In
the case here, Char defines strong and consistent concepts for the
measurement axes, Coverage, Support, etc. which are important to the
Char model, and merely uses STC-S to represent the datum in question.

Regarding UCDs for representing footprints in SIA-1, this can only be
done by extension and there is no standard way to do it at present.  We
really need SIAV2 to address this sort of concern.

 	- Doug