utype for STC region in SIAP query response

Francois Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Sep 1 02:16:35 PDT 2011

Hi Thomas,
    To complete my answer to Markus
     we could have something like

    <FIELD name="fov" unit="deg" xtype="STC-s" datatype="char"
arraysize="*" utype="sia:Char.SpatialAxis.Coverage.Support.Area" >

       I think something like this can be proposed (if not yet the case)
in SIA2...
       this will be consistent with ObsTap... and could also be included
in the next version of SSA et al.

       For current SIA services, maybe we could have a short
recommendation or note to propose using
the same as an additional field in the SIA1 Query response
Cheers
François

Thomas Boch a écrit :
> To illustrate my request, here is is how the STC-S FIELD is described
> in the query response of three different SIAP services :
>
> Service 1 : <FIELD name="position_bounds" unit="deg"
> xtype="adql:REGION" datatype="char" arraysize="*">
>
> Service 2 : <FIELD name="stcs" datatype="char" arraysize="*"
> ucd="phys.area;obs.field" unit="deg">
>
> Service 3 : <FIELD ID="regionSTCS" name="regionSTCS" datatype="char"
> arraysize="*">
>
> 3 different services, 3 different ways to express the same thing.
> Having a unique unambiguous way to detect the STC-S field would be
> very helpful for client consuming these services.
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas
>
> Thomas Boch wrote:
>> François,
>>
>> I wish this is something that could be standardized in a forecoming
>> revision of the SIAP document, so that clients can easily find out
>> which FIELD support the STC-S description.
>>
>> Thomas
>>
>> François Bonnarel wrote:
>>> Hi Thomas,
>>>    Obstap has obs:Char.SpatialAxis.Coverage.Support.Area
>>> for this . We have something similar in the SIA2 prototypes
>>>    I guess eventually for sia we will have something like
>>>             sia:Char.SpatialAxis.Coverage.Support.Area
>>>    although the problem of the name space is still to be discussed...
>>>  By the way you can write this field as an STC-S feature ...
>>> Cheers
>>> François

François   Bonnarel           Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg
CDS (Centre de données        11, rue de l'Université
astronomiques de Strasbourg)  F--67000 Strasbourg (France)

Tel: +33-(0)3 68 85 24 11     WWW: http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/people/fb.html
Fax: +33-(0)3 68 85 24 25     E-mail: francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr