towards a DataLink IVOA Note

Alberto Accomazzi aaccomazzi at cfa.harvard.edu
Sat Oct 15 11:03:38 PDT 2011

Hi Francoise,

Thank you for bringing the discussion to DC&P.  Just a couple of
additional thoughts on this:

1. All the projects which make use of DataCite that I know of are quite
happy with a "macro" approach, which involves assigning a single DOI to
all the data products published in a paper/study.  I will show an
examples of this in my talk.  This does not mean that we can't go any
finer, but it's just something to be aware of when the question of
scaling comes up.

2. The issue of what should be a citeable nugget and how it should be
expressed in a document is yet a separate problem, as is the technical
issue of how the resource should be de-referenced and what safeguards
exist behind the infrastructure that supports this de-referencing.

Unfortunately it's hard to talk about one issue without bringing into
the discussion the other(s), which often only makes taking decisions
more difficult.

Francoise, is 10 minutes enough for your DC&P presentation?  Originally
I thought you would just say something about the WDS, but maybe there's
more you want to say.  Please let me know so I can arrange the schedule
accordingly.

Thanks,
-- Alberto

--
Dr. Alberto Accomazzi                  aaccomazzi(at)cfa harvard edu
Program Manager