[obs-tap] Data Rights

Petr Skoda skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz
Mon Mar 28 03:14:40 PDT 2011

Hi,

I have checked the SDM v 1.1 and I see conflict in Curation.rights in
ObsTAP ( Public/Reserved/Proprietary)  and SDM 1.1 (table 1 - page 19 ?
) where it is Curation.Rights (public,proprietary, mixed)

And in ObsTAP section B4 (data_rights) it is written
PUBLIC,PROTECTED,PROPRIETARY - referring to SDM

In any case there is no explanation what does it mean  (neither in SDM)

what is Reserved?
what is Mixed?
what is PROTECTED ?

in addition - taking obsTAP B.5. (release date)

what is  said - the time stamp is here to distiguish public and private
observation - tells when product will be available.

first

1) the format YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss is not ISO 8601 but a restricted
representation of ISO - and the same hold what I said earlier about SSAP
(e.g. we should force the "T" instead of space, following rather the
limits of RFC  3339.

second

The nature of proprietary data can be different -
some are kept secret for ever as the observatory is private (e.g. Keck)
The government-funded data shoudl be published after some time so they
will become public. But some organizations may have strict policy on
proprietary period (e.g. 1 year and then the data may be released) some
may decide aftetr some push ;-) to release certain data (when no one from
the original PI's has interested in them) etc ...

And some may publish high-level product (measurements ... derived
parameters like log g, Teff ....spectral class...) but not the original
level 2 data or even the level 0.

How to describe the rights, various *did* (obs_publisher_id), data level
etc .... to get the idea hwat I can get now ?

the question as well is what the service should return for data propietary
data -  As I remember soem discussion ago the recommnedation was to
publish all metadata but not the contents (i.e. what we want to do in
Access format and access reference....

Simply I think its a sensitive problem desiring more detailed explanation
in obsTAP . (in addition to correcting the discrepancies with SDM)

Petr
*  Petr Skoda                         Tel   : (323) 649201, l. 361      *
*  Stelarni oddeleni                          (323) 620361              *
*  Astronomicky ustav AVCR, v.v.i     Fax   : (323) 620250              *
*  251 65 Ondrejov                    e-mail: skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz  *
*  Ceska republika                                                      *