Obstap / about optional fields

Juande Santander Vela juandesant at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 02:05:36 PDT 2011

Perhaps it has eluded me and is already discussed in the ObsCore document, but I cannot recall having read it.

I have the following problem with optional fields: when we say that a given ObsTAP field is optional, what does exactly mean:

a) The field is not mandatory in the ivoa.ObsCore table,  and
   therefore no entries exist in TAP_SCHEMA.columns with
   table_name = "ivoa.ObsCore".

b) The field is mandatory in the ivoa.ObsCore table, but the
   content for all rows is NULL.

The problem with approach a) is that we are defeating the ability of sending the same ADQL query in all ObsTAP compliant services, unless the ObsTAP implementations return NULL by default to columns they do not know about in a given schema.

So, for solving that issue, I see three approaches:

1) TAP services return NULL for columns they know nothing about.
   This seems like a hack, and an extra burden for TAP
   implementations.

2) Take approach b) above. But then we would have to check
   that the semantics for NULL do not interfere with anything
   we have already in place.

3) Group optional fields, so that they exist or not together
  (even if some of them need to be NULL), and the first discovery
   of relevant ObsTAP services is made through capabilities search
   in the registry.

I think 3) is more natural: we have more information in the registry for service discovery, and we ensure that the fields exist for the use case we are interested about.

What do you think?

--
Juande Santander Vela
Software Engineer, ALMA Archive Subsystem

George Carlin: Si es cierto que la Humanidad está sola en el Universo, habría que decir que el Universo no tenía miras muy altas, y se conformó con bastante poco.