TAP, automated site monitoring, and gzip encoding.

Tom McGlynn Thomas.A.McGlynn at nasa.gov
Thu Jun 30 13:35:08 PDT 2011

NASA sites are a prominent target for hackers and so Goddard uses
automated tools that look for a variety of exploits including SQL
injection attacks.  Currently TAP schema queries can trigger these.
While our security folks don't want to be too specific as to what the
triggers are I believe that the combination of:

    Support of arbitrary SQL in the query
    Lack of passwords
    Results that look like table schemas (because they are)
    Output in clear text

play a major role in making things look suspicious.  While they can
turn off checking altogether that would mean that any real successful
SQL injection attack could go undetected and we have lots of attempts
every day.

One solution that I had hoped might work was to use a GZIP transfer
encoding (or content encoding) for the query results.  Unfortunately
it doesn't look like clients currently note the HTTP encoding headers.

NASA is probably a bit more paranoid about this than some, but I
suspect that this will become a more common issue as time goes on.
Support for content or transfer encoding is an HTTP level issue so I
don't think it requires any change to the TAP standard, just clients
that look for the appropriate HTTP headers.  Would it be reasonable to
request that clients support gzip encoding?  In addition to address
this security issue I suspect this would generally substantially
decrease the size of downloaded data and make our queries more responsive.

	Tom McGlynn