BINARY support (Was: site monitoring)

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Jul 6 00:44:53 PDT 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 03:39:01PM -0600, Douglas Tody wrote:
> >We changed to using the STREAM/BINARY encoding in the VOTables used
> >in our TAP interface (suggested by Mark) and so far this seems to
> >be satisfying our security types.  [I don't want to get into a
> >discussion of what should or should not trigger such flags.]
>
> Since probably few clients will be able to handle such as response this
> is probably not the best solution, although technically legal I guess.
> It would be better to address the real problem (smarter security
> checking) as someone else suggested.

Although I agree that all this has nothing to do with security in any
sense of the word: Doug, do you suggest that client support for
VOTables with binary streams is rare?

Since I'm delivering binary VOTables by default that would be
worrying for me (plus, I'm only aware of missing binary support in
old versions of VOPlot and now specview).  Before I start checking
libraries and clients myself: Does anyone already have an idea what
clients or libraries don't support binary VOTables yet?

Cheers,

     Markus