TAP, automated site monitoring, and gzip encoding.

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon Jul 4 12:58:57 PDT 2011

Right - we distinguished between compression of the dataset itself and
compression as used in the transport protocol.  HTTP already supports
the latter and ideally the client and server would both support stream
compression.  But of course it is optional (where we really need this is
to speed up feeding large text VOTables back to the client).  If
security is the main issue it might be better to require an
authenticated (HTTPS) connection.  Or just limit the TAP implementation
and client connection to data which could not be compromised by any
amount of SQL trickery.

 	- Doug