utype for STC region in SIAP query response

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 22 08:33:14 PST 2011

Norman Gray wrote:

> Doug, hello.
>
> On 2011 Dec 20, at 01:35, Douglas Tody wrote:
>
> > I hope the holidays are treating you well.
>
> Here's hoping; and to you, too.

And the same to all of you from me.

> The argument from practicality is a strong one, and comes down to
> judgements about the relative weight of different downsides.
>
> Having said that, I'm looking at the draft UTYPE specification at
> <http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/Utypes/WD-Utypes-0.4-20091107.pdf>
> and can see UML (therefore object oriented notions of inheritance),
> XML Schemas, some quasi-XPath, a partial conflation of data
> modelling and interface design, a novel conceptual and syntactical
> framework for composing names which are derived from UML models,
> minus an associated semantics, but plus a sketched abbreviation
> syntax.  I broadly understand why each of those things is there,
> historically, but the end result is _scarily_ complicated.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, that's why I keep
suggesting the simple generic utype stc:AstroCoordArea.Region,
or in context something like:

     <GROUP utype="stc:CatalogEntryLocation">
         <FIELDref utype="stc:AstroCoordArea.Region" ref="footprint"/>
     </GROUP>

It's independent of any other models that may be hanging around, yet
unambiguous.

  - Arnold

> But that's quite enough from me (more than enough, I'm sure I heard
> someone mutter...).  Have a good break, everyone who's taking one,
> and have a good New Year when it comes.
>
> All the best,
>
> Norman
>

> --
> Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk
> SUPA School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Glasgow, UK

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu