utype for STC region in SIAP query response

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Dec 19 14:43:46 PST 2011

Dear all,
      This discussion is really interesting but I think we should avoid
being to theoretic and generic and do as we didn't have any material yet.

      a ) As far as I understand  the problem adressed by Alberto (and
previously by Thomas ) is : "do we have a single utype for OBSERVATION
footprints?"
and this whatever DAL protocol we are using: Obstap, SIA2, SSA, and
maybe SED and Time series (as mentionned by Doug and Norman)... In that
case the utype explicitly defined  by the Obscore/Obstap recommendation
"obscore:Char.SpatialAxis.Coverage.Support.Area" is the most generic and
should be reused in all the more precise and derived models of the
specific protocols such as SIA2, SSA, etc ... Check the first SIA2 draft
there
http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/SiaInterface/WD-SIAP-2.0-20091104.pdf
and you will discover the SAME utype for the same context allready more
than 2 years ago...
       b ) stc is both a model and a structure definition ...for
coordinates, regions in general and coordinate systems. Several possible
structures (stc-X, stc-S) are defined for the same model attributes...
The full char/obs model defines Char.SpatialAxis.Coverage.Support.Area
as an stc:AstroCoordArea structure... In this very specific case the use
of an STC-S structure in the VOTABLE FIELD identified by the correct
Obs/Char utype will be qualified by the   xtype="Stc-S" attribute of the
FIELD and this will allow to INFER accuratly  the stc utype if
needed...  All this is possible there because we are not talking of
something generic but of using stc structures in the context of
observation footprints...
       c ) The problem     of other kind of footprints, for example
catalog or survey footprints  may require other combinations of stc
structures or utypes with other models such as a catalog data model if
it  exists some day. STC is generic for geometric regions and can
require combination with other models for adding semantics as suggested
by Norman... The actual combination mode is use-case dependant .
References to STC-X structures may be possible or needed sometimes.
      d )  The solutions proposed by Norman and Markus are very generic
and maybe really usefull in the case of other combinations of models
than the one adressed by Thoams and Alberto . I have in mind
Observation/provenance and simulation data model, or characterisation
and simulation data models... BUt in the case of the obtsap and simple
DAL  protocols,  I think the utype/xtype combination provides all what
we need and is unambiguous...
Cheers
François