PQL requirements [Was Re: SSA-1.1]

Juande Santander Vela juandesant at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 01:35:41 PDT 2011

On 27.04.2011, at 19:19, Patrick Dowler wrote:

>> I can, however, very well see a strong need for lenient matching.
>
> This sounds exactly like material that should be considered carefully enough
> to cover the general case, covered in a PQL specification, and common to all
> services that accept PQL queries. Other query languages (eg ADQL) have their
> own way of handling such things.

I was thinking exactly that when I started reading this discussion.

Is there a place in the IVOA wiki where PQL is discussed? Because I see PQL has a lot of advantages for a TAP-technology based archive backend/frontend, with SQL/ADQL not being sent, and parameters allowing for ranges, transformations...

--
Juande Santander Vela
Software Engineer, ALMA Archive Subsystem

Tony Hoare: There is nothing a mere scientist can say that will stand against the flood of a hundred million dollars. But there is one quality that cannot be purchased in this way — and that is reliability. The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.