SSA-1.1

Petr Skoda skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz
Tue Apr 26 18:33:52 PDT 2011

> 2) ignore case
>
> I don't see how on earth you can ignore case in a target name. This introduces many kinds
> of ambiguities, of which variable star designations is only one....

Of course until we have exact and powrfull mechanism like regular
expression - which would require escaping and render the URL unreadable
...  we cannot exactly select what we want by TARGETNAME

However concerning the ambiguity:

1) I rememeber variable star list printed on row printer using ONLY
CAPITAL letters  and in fact the minima predictions in some interfaces
are still in upper-case only.

2) The case and spaces makese the 90% of confusion in targetnames entered
freely by
the observer   (7VUL, 7Vul, 7 Vul .... examples from our
archives even worse like

zet2 Tau   - 10 combinations ....

3) the TARRGETNAME query should encorouge people to look deeprer in the
archive as it returns some object resembing what they wanted.

The worst case you can imagine is when you make the query by exact name
and the system returns nothingas it is encodeed with some aditional space
or different case of latter ....

After say 3 trials you will ignore that server as it apparently (wrong!)
does not have anything important for you.

So you are right, but requiring strict nomenclature might be harmful here

And in fact MAST seems to obey my rules (I have made just several test,
though)

Petr