SSA-1.1

Petr Skoda skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz
Tue Apr 26 18:07:48 PDT 2011

That is, http://domain-tbd.org/id/1575544 would act
> as a unique name for M31, for example, without any issues of encoding,
> spaces, case, and so on.

I am afraid that the creation uf unique IDs is the problem of someone who
will decide and assign the name to the object etc .. in fact this is done
in SIMBAD today as well  - but it takes some time (and the PI of the
project have to ask  simbad editors to include their newly found extremely
interesting object.

the problem here is in the rate of such a newly discovered objects - I am
sure that with large surveys there will be massive boom of publications
about object SATELITE-XXXXX or NEW-SURVEY-YYYYY  (and even some spectra .
not only photometry will be cited).
BUt if you want to cross-link this article with ivo://spectrumid (as has
been
discussed all the time by ADS guys) you have to provide the search with
TARGETNAME as it is the only information in the article as well.

> If I'm reading this correctly, then it sounds as if the features of
> systematic uniqueness, and lack of ambiguity, are potentially valuable
> here.

Sure - the name was devised to denote any object ina unique way and in
fact it is the primary KEY how the PI identify what they want (and have)
observed.

Petr Skoda

*  Petr Skoda                         Phone : +420-323-649201, ext. 361 *
*  Stellar Department                         +420-323-620361           *
*  Astronomical Institute AS CR       Fax   : +420-323-620250           *
*  251 65 Ondrejov                    e-mail: skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz  *
*  Czech Republic                                                       *