detection limit

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Sun Apr 17 15:29:51 PDT 2011

Hi Francois -

I have always thought it was important to have this attribute; for
global/multiwave use cases it is more important than exposure time for
example, although it serves a similar purpose.  However it can be
complex to provide, similar to converting photometric magnitudes to
fluxes.

Calling this the "resolution" of the observable axis is ok I guess.
Note it is closely related to the RMS of the background and is often
expressed that way instead.  We would want to define how these two
are related.  Unit probably Jansky.

I think it should be a "should" attribute (i.e., optional), due to the
difficulty of computation.  However it is highly desirable for many
data discovery use cases.

 	- Doug