[Image Data Model]was Re: roadmap 2010-2011

Mireille Louys mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Thu Sep 16 09:31:27 PDT 2010

Dear all,

I am just adding my 2c here about data modeling.
I think ObsCoreDM already covers the need to describe an image.
Actually any data set dealing with n dimensions can be described
with a subset of the Characterisation DM as mentionned by Doug.

For special cases, when one image derives from a set of images(
coaddition, mosaic, etc) we may need to show this dependancy as
planned for associations.

Now for data cubes (IFU, etc.) the same combination approach is used
so association, progenitors of a data product are general concept that
can be formalised in the Observation data model.

I do not see the point in developing one DM for each kind of data product.
Lightcurves description can benefit of the description of the
Characterisation axes, and this the same for TimeSeries, from my point
of view.

Each model can be reused partly, not all axes are mandatory, and so
derived representations can be defined and serialised either in XML or
in VOTable.

Any opinion among DM and DAL working group?

Thanks, Mireille

----- Fin du message transféré -----