roadmap 2010-2011

Francois Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Sep 14 08:00:58 PDT 2010

Hi,
I basically agree with Doug there. I can illustrate with some feedback from
Aladin tema playing with DAL protocols (see below).
Regards
François
Douglas Tody a écrit :
> [...]
> examples where virtual data generation is needed, e.g. on the fly
> imaging of radio or xray data, or computation of theoretical spectra.
> There are also important use cases for conventional 2D images and
> spectra, e.g. cutting out a small 2D image region (or hundreds of
> them), reprojecting 2D image data, or cutting out a region around
> a single spectral line in a high resolution spectrum. We already
> do many of these things with the existing SIAV1 and SSA interfaces.
>
> We need both simple whole-file and virtual data access capabilities.
> Virtual data access capabilities are essential to enabling distributed
> data analysis (analysis performed directly on remote data without
> first downloading the data), and to scaling up.
>
> Discovering and downloading whole archive files for local processing
> is of course a major use case - this is probably still the dominant
> form of data access. But the typed interfaces like SIA/SSA already
> support this simple mode of access; this is the "simple" mode these
> interfaces support. Soon we will have ObsTAP with both ADQL and
> PQL query interfaces, which will provide a simpler alternative for
> whole file discovery and access, adding the capability to access and
> associate any type of data, at the cost of some lost object-specific
> metadata.
>
> PQL does play an essential role and should be a high priority for
> development, it is just that it is by intention generic - it implements
> the generic dataset model (ObsDM). This is both an advantage and a
> limitation. But that is ok as we also have the typed DAL interfaces
> to add knowledge of and advanced access capabilities for a specific
> type of astronomical data.
>
> The typed interfaces extend the generic query interface in important
> ways for each type of data, and add virtual data generation
> capabilities (the queryData response can describe virtual data).
> In object modeling terms the typed interfaces in effect subclass
> PQL to add support for a more specific data model (image, spectrum,
> etc.), including defining object-specific semantics and additional
> object-specific query/access parameters. While the query may look
> similar in each interface these added semantics are extremely important
> as they represent the difference between (for example) a catalog or
> an image or a spectrum or a theoretical model.
>
> The primary role for PQL is in TAP (for catalog access) and ObsTAP (for
> global data discovery of all data product types using the observation
> data model). Hence one might use ObsTAP with PQL to discover all the
> data for a region on the sky, and then use SIA or SSA etc. for data
> access more advanced than merely downloading entire archive files.
> If whole file access is sufficient then ObsTAP alone might be enough.
> More complex data analysis use cases require the capabilities of the
> typed DAL interfaces with their customized parameter interfaces.
This is a very important point stated by Doug there. SIA2 is not just
a PQL interface on top of ObsTap. The various interfaces are there
for different use cases. If you wish to download generic packaged
data for some post-processing from several places with the same
ADQL query ObsTap is ideal for you.
If you really want to see directly images for interactive measurements
interpretation and cross-correlation in an image tool such as
DS9 or Aladin you need to know which services are really providing
images. If people expose their packaged set of images in Obstap and
the same datasets in the SIA service with only a different output format
of the query response and parameter interface replacing ADQL we
will get into trouble. The Aladin team is afraid that this will come if
we don't agree on the general DAL architecture and the specific role
of each protocol. (Actually we -Aladin team - allready encounter some
problems with the
new CADC SIA service available from the Aladin load pannel where "images"
discovered are sometimes huge MEF of 600 megabytes).
If we have different protocols for related datasest some glue must be
inbetween
This will be in another mail (DataLinking).

> - Doug

François   Bonnarel           Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg
CDS (Centre de données        11, rue de l'Université
astronomiques de Strasbourg)  F--67000 Strasbourg (France)

Tel: +33-(0)3 68 85 24 11     WWW: http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/people/fb.html
Fax: +33-(0)3 68 85 24 25     E-mail: francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr