roadmap 2010-2011

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Fri Sep 10 12:35:52 PDT 2010

In the recent past we have had success in bringing more complex standards to
completion by breaking them down into manageable pieces and re-using existing
standards wherever possible. I would like to continue with this approach and
propose the following as a way forward. Obviously there are many things to
collectively consider and decide

1. remove all query parameters from SIAv2 and actively work on PQL

2. extract the "data linking" from SIAv2 and develop it as an independent
standard that can be used in multiple services

3. extract non-query parameters, error handling, VOTable usage, etc from SIAv2
and develop it as a base standard for all DAL services; this standard would be
called Data Access Layer Interface, or DALI :-)

4. pass work on the ImageDM to the DM-WG

With this sort of approach, the SIAV2 specification will be the glue that pulls
the required elements together: DALI-sync, ImageDM, PQL, and DataLink.

Likewise, SSAv2 would require at least DALI-sync, SpecDM, PQL, and DataLink.
When we get to making an update to TAP, it would also slim down and refer to
these and other standards. Other standards (SimDAP, for example) could be
defined to require DALI-sync, SimulationDM, and ADQL.

* overly ambitious roadmap

TAP (or DAL) extension schema (RFC Q4-2010): DAL+Registry need to begin work
on this immediately and finalise at Nara 2010.

PQL (design/proto Q4-2010, RFC Q1-2011): work must start now, looking for
editor, author list will emerge during discussions

DALI (design/proto Q4-2010, RFC Q1-2011): work must start now, looking for
editor, author list will emerge during discussions

DataLink (design/proto Q4-2010, RFC Q1-2011): work must start now with mailing
list discussion of plausibility, use cases, and scope

SIAv2 (prototypes and WD by Q2-2011): depends on ImageDM and above standards

SSAv1.x (TBD): depends on whether fixes to SpecDM require it and on urgency
SSAv2 (TBD): depends on SpecDM, PhotDM, above standards, and requirements

Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2M7

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7