ObsCoreDM and DAL for proprietary data

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Wed May 19 18:29:34 PDT 2010

Hi Petr -

Just some quick comments (and thanks for the interest, we are sorry you
couldn't make it here).

We did remember proprietary data - some observatory data policies allow
the metadata to be public before the data is publically available.
In this case the data would be visible but the access_url would be NULL.
There might be some optional metadata to indicate when the data would
be publically available.  Secure PI access is a more advanced issue
not addressed by ObsTAP, but there are obvious possibilities, e.g. use
an authenticated link (HTTPS with cert), and then the URL might not be
null anymore.

> I am not sure how the ObsCoreDm should be linked to whole TAP stuff
> (including UWS async ....) - what I do not understand so far is the role
> of current SIA and SSA servers - should everyone support TAP access in
> ADDITION to the SSA/SIA to be able to return the basic

TAP is a separate service and does not affect SIA/SSA directly.
However it would be sensible to put the SIA/SSA metadata in a table in
which case it could be queried with TAP as well as used to drive the
typed services.  Also, ObsTAP is essentially the DAL GDS query, which
can be used to do global data discovery followed by a call to a typed
service for the more advanced VO data access.

Yes, a 1D FITS spectrum could be represented by this scheme.  The most
natural representation would probably a dataproduct_type of spectrum.1D
with access_format fits.image.

	- Doug