STC in VOTable: Time utypes

Gerard gerard.lemson at mpe.mpg.de
Wed Apr 14 04:00:03 PDT 2010

Dear Arnold and others

Good to hear that.

> But finding an alternative that is effective is a project for STC
> version 2.
I suppose that is true, maybe we can start this as I suggested (pushed
somewhat by Markus).

> At this point we are trying to find a way to express version 1 in
> utypes, and that means having to deal with substitution groups.

My point is that we should do our best to work around substitution groups
wherever they appear.
In particular we should not adapt the definition of utype-s to be able to
deal with them.
As UTYPEs are supposed to point into a data model, not into a schema, is it
possible to identify the STC data model without referring to the STC-X
implementation? I guess the document at
http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/REC/DM/STC-20071030.html defines all concepts.

Would it be possible to create a table of STC utypes that point to the
appropriate section in this document that defines the corresponding concept?
(this might make Norman happy as well).

Cheers

Gerard