TAP RFC [VOSI]

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 24 08:28:07 PDT 2009

Hi Pat -

Since both of these approaches will work anyway, it would be a
shame to have TAP be inconsistent with the other DAL interfaces
in terms of how service requests are posed.  In effect we would be
reversing decisions already made within the DAL WG in defining how
these interfaces are composed.  While the pure REST approach has
its place (process/job status a la /proc and virtual file storage
are obvious cases that fit the model well), the DAL interfaces are
fundamentally object oriented with complex operations which can be
defined independently of the transport protocol, and the RPC model
with logical operations is the better fit in this case.  What we
already have in the TAP proposal now is a good pragmatic compromise
to be able to employ both models within the same interface.

The proposal here would not only be inconsistent with decisions already
reached within the DAL WG, it would require reversing what we already
have worked out in months of painful discussions for the current TAP
draft specification.  There are good arguments to not make this change.
Hence I suggest we stick with what we have already agreed upon.

 	- Doug