TAP 1.0: Substantive comments.

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 1 06:53:37 PDT 2009

Hi Francois -

The VOTable1.2 statement on this which you copy below is fine.
Basically it says that either MIME type can be used depending upon
the application to which VOTable is being applied.  I agree that the
application/x-votable+xml MIME type is the most correct considering
only a VOTable file by itself without concern for how it is being used.

The issue is that TAP is a specific application of VOTable, being
a service which delivers data that often wants to be visualized in
a browser, and should say more about its specific application than
the more generic VOTable1.2 spec.  As a result services will likely
be inconsistent and simple client applications are likely to work
unreliably.  We can permit either MIME type and have a mechanism
for this now, but it would be better to specify a default for use
when no output FORMAT is specified (and for when "votable" output is
specified); ideally this default should be what is most appropriate
for simple browser-based Web applications.  More sophisticated
applications are less of a concern as they are better able to deal
with any issues.  It would also be nice if TAP behaved similarly to
the other DAL services in this respect.

If we can't agree upon this then it may be better to leave the matter
unresolved as in the current document, but if so it is sure to cause
problems for simple browser-based Web applications and queries.

 	- Doug