Boxes and Polygons in ADQL/STC. Questions and recommendation.

Alberto Micol amicol.ivoa at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 23 16:56:30 PDT 2009

Furthermore, if it is true that the horizontal arm is on a parallel
(isolatitude),
then the only great circles that are perpendicular to it are the
meridians.
Hence the BOX will have the vertical sides actually  lying onto the
meridians.
But in such case, if the box size is bigger than the distance to a pole,
the shape of the box will be a kind of "butterfly" with the sides
always crossing
at the pole (exactly as the box defined in SIAP v1).

Hence a box will not at all (at the poles) resemble the footprint of
an image.

That is _not_ nice, and probably it was not intended to be so.

The question I really have is: Am I so wrong?

Thanks for any help I will get!
Alberto