Boxes and Polygons in ADQL/STC. Questions and recommendation.

Tom McGlynn Thomas.A.McGlynn at nasa.gov
Fri Oct 23 14:27:07 PDT 2009

Arnold Rots wrote:
> These shapes are based on their definitions in STC, so I would urge
> you not to change anything. The "box" you are referring to is a 2-D
> coordinate interval.
>
>   - Arnold

Hi Arnold,

It looks like  the STC definition of a Polygon below is not consistent
with the ADQL definition which begins (2.4.13) 'This function expresses
a region on the sky with sides denoted by great circles passing through
specified points.'  The STC version allows more than great circle
boundaries.  So while an STC polygon can have small circle (parallels of
latitude) sides, an ADQL polygon cannot.   The ADQL defintion of a box
says that it is a special case of a polygon so, in ADQL a box cannot
have small circle sides.

I'm not familiar enough with the STC documentation to understand if in
the definition of Box there
   "The box’s sides are <line segments> or great circles  ..."
allows small circle sides to be used inside a box-- perhaps STC can
treat such boundaries as 'line segments'.  Regardless ADQL polygons are
apparently (if perhaps inadvertantly) more restrictive.

So I'm a little unclear from your answer whether an STC box is supposed
to represent a region
    minLon < alpha < maxLon , minLat < delta < maxLat
that I think of as a box, or a region with geodesic boundaries.  The
complex procedure invoking the perpendiculars to the cross strongly
suggested the later to me.

If the later I personally don't care whether we change it in ADQL, but I
am curious as to where it is useful to have this construct and if there
aren't any reasons to keep it, then maybe a coordinate range box would
be more helpful to users.

By the by I'm glad to see from Pat's comment, that STC addresses the
inside/outside issue.

	Tom