TAP Implementation Issues (cont'd)

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 22 10:51:25 PDT 2009

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009, Doug Tody wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Tom McGlynn wrote:
>>  What is the appropriate value of REQUEST for async requests that do
>>  not create the query?  The document indicates:
>>     A TAP client must set this parameter correctly in every request
>>     (GET or POST) to /async or /sync web resources.
>>  I take this as meaning that invoking something like
>>    http://mytap/async/phase
>>  needs a REQUEST.  If it means something else it needs to be clarified.

I missed this one in my previous posting.  REQUEST is intended only for
service operations (doQuery, getCapabilities, etc.).  The UWS mechanism
is a separate standard and is defined by the UWS specification.
If we initiate an async doQuery using TAP we need to specify REQUEST
and the various doQuery parameters when the job is first created,
but after that the generic UWS mechanism is used to interact with an
existing job identified by the UWS assigned job id, so there would
seem to be no further need to specify any TAP-specific parameters.
Basically once the UWS job is created we are no longer interacting
with a TAP service, rather we are interacting with the UWS mechanism
using the protocol specified by UWS.