TAP document implementation issues. Section 2.6

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Sat Oct 3 13:54:32 PDT 2009

On Thursday 01 October 2009 17:28:20 Patrick Dowler wrote:
> On Thursday 01 October 2009 13:39:41 Douglas Tody wrote:
> > In our (partial so far) implementation of the TAP schema here we
> > created DBMS tables much like TAP_SCHEMA.tables and TAP_SCHEMA.columns.
> > We did use boolean for std,primary,indexed in the native DBMS tables.
> > I agree we should consider just using boolean in the TAP schema itself.
> > This was an oversight I think.
>
> In clarifying this section I have made the datatypes of columns in the
> TAP_SCHEMA tables explicit. They are basically VARCHAR (but no size
>  specified) for everything except some in Columns: size is an INTEGER and
>  principal, indexed, and std are BOOLEAN.

Correcting myself:

We can't actually do this since ADQL does not have a BOOLEAN type.

We could follow ADQL region function style and use integer, with 1 meaning
true and 0 meaning false (CONTAINS and INTERSECTS return 0 or 1).

Alternatively, we could use CHAR(1) with values T and F.

In either case, VOTable does have boolean so this is likely to cause
confusion. The mapping table in sec 2.5 is bidirectional, but we cannot really
specify a bidirectional mapping of boolean.

Maybe TAP just cannot support VOTable boolean type?

Arbitrary decision: I will go with INTEGER and 0 or 1 (for the flags in
tap_schema.columns) and I will change the table in section 2.5 to say that
VOTable boolean is not supported by TAP unless there is strong input to do
something else (and very soon - see PS)

thanks in advance for help/support/ideas,

PS-My understanding is that TCG review has to start in the next couple of days
in order to be completed before the interop... so I will need some input or
will have to make an arbitrary decision in the next 24-36 hours. I also know
some people are travelling to ADASS in Japan and are likely off-line.

Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2M7

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7