TAP VOSI Information

Tom McGlynn thomas.a.mcglynn at nasa.gov
Tue Nov 24 05:20:07 PST 2009

The current TAP specification is a bit unclear about this.  The current
draft doesn't mention VARBINARY data at all.  I've suggested some
changes to Pat where  a convention to use the column XTYPE to give the
internal data type that is hinted at in the current draft is made more
generally. The data is stored in a CHAR[*] or BYTE[*] array. So you
could encode your VARBINARY columns in a VOTable (which could also use
the BINARY or FITS data representations).   I think this probably needs
to remain a 'convention' within the standard since the internal
datatypes available differ so widely from database to database.

    Tom