UCD problem in SSA/SpectrumDM

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Fri Nov 20 08:32:28 PST 2009

Hi Keith -

I also think that a minor revision is warranted - mostly minor fixes
(we have only a couple so far including Alberto's) and clarifications
to text that was found to be insufficiently precise during the
implementation phase.  We have been saving some of these up for the
next doc update.

The issue Alberto flags (I agree the UCD is wrong) is unlikely to
have significant impact on existing implementations, although it will
require code changes to fix.  There may be other minor changes like
this required to either SSA or the SSA verifier as we get further
into running the two against each other.

"Refactoring" the data model, e.g. to resolve differences made in the
past 1-2 years between SSA/Spectrum and Char (they were aligned back
at the time SSA went to REC), could have much greater impact and if
so might want to be deferred to a 2.0.  I don't think we know yet;
the first thing to do would be to assess how things have diverged,
as you suggest below.  With SIAV2 and ObsTAP coming soon I agree it
is a good time to take an inventory.  Certainly we want to update and
realign the data models eventually, it is just a question of when
this happens for SSA if the changes are not backwards compatible.
It seems to me that if the changes are great enough this would require
a major version change to 2.0.

 	- Doug