[Units]

Francois Ochsenbein francois at vizier.u-strasbg.fr
Thu May 28 04:13:10 PDT 2009

Hi Mireille,

About your questions, in reverse order:

2. The document on Units shoud describe the generic units, meaning that
   something called 'unit' supplied by any of the VO protocols would
   have to be compatible with the document on units;

1. Individual protocols may restrict the units they accept to a subset
   of the generic units -- and then logically the list of acceptable
   units for a given protocol (say simDAP) should be specified in a
   section of the protocol document (simDAP).

It becomes a be a problem if one of the protocols requires a unit
which is incompatible with the document on Units ; if it turns out
that very specific units have to be created for some services
(I'm thinking e.g. to simulation data) the document on Units
should propose a way of creating and referring to new units
which do not collide with existing ones (what I called
'user-defined units')

Francois