Standardising units and formats (and ref frames?) in transmission

olsen at nist.gov olsen at nist.gov
Fri May 22 08:57:46 PDT 2009

Greetings IOVA Members,

Earlier this week Denis Humbert told me about your work with VOunits.  Can you send me a copy of your draft, and if so, can it be distributed?

I am currently working on a project called Units Markup Language.
UnitsML is a project underway at the National Institute of Standards and Technology to develop a schema for encoding scientific units of measure in XML.

There is a need for UnitsML because XML schemas are being created for specific communities, and many include markup for units.  However different approaches are being used.

UnitsML work is progressing well and we've initiated an OASIS Technical Committee
(http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=unitsml)
to address any needed changes in the schema and publish a final recommendation.

Developers of Markup Languages such as Analytical Information Markup Language (AnIML) and  Atomic and Molecular Data Markup Language (AMDML) plan to use UnitsML.

I invite you to take a look at the attached UnitsML flyer.  Also, the main web site is http://unitsml.nist.gov  and  the schema can be viewed at
http://unitsml.nist.gov/Schema/unitsmlSchema-0.9.17.xsd

Best regards,

Karen Olsen