Standardising units and formats (and ref frames?) in transmission

Petr Skoda skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz
Mon May 18 12:02:09 PDT 2009

>> there is another catch here - the resolution in optical astronomy is mostly
>> considered the unit-less (spec. resolution power lambda/dlambda)

> I would call that spectral resolving power, not resolution.
Yes, sorry for mistyping resolving power  instead of resolution power.

Although many people are mixing the words "resolving power"
(lambda/dlambda) and "resolution" (dlambda)

e,g: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectral_resolution

> I would probably allow both resolving power AND resolution, though in

Ok  - depend on context (gamma, radio, optical .. - as I understood Anita
during some discussion - radioastronomer gets a estimate of resultion 5kHz
and he can understand the type of antenna, instrument etc .. and what he
can see there.

In optical astronomy you tell someone 0.25A/pix and people
ask - at what wavelength? And when said (e.g. at Halpha) they start to
compute ... I see SRP is  6563/(2(0.25) which is about 13000. (or c/RP=
23km/s ....)

> characterisation that
> is expressed by both the location and the bounds of the "resolution":

Yes (I have just checked)   both expressions  are covered in spectral data
model
but I do not know how it is elsewhere (e.g. in registries I have had seen
only the resolution with units)

Ok, sorry for this discourse from Time/angle issue..

Petr

*  Petr Skoda                         Phone : +420-323-649201, ext. 361 *
*  Stellar Department                         +420-323-620361           *
*  Astronomical Institute AS CR       Fax   : +420-323-620250           *
*  251 65 Ondrejov                    e-mail: skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz  *
*  Czech Republic                                                       *