Standardising units and formats (and ref frames?) in transmission

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon May 18 10:10:16 PDT 2009

If we are talking about general tables (external data) then I suggest
we merely define some recommended guidelines for data providers
to follow.  Mandating how arbitrary columns of arbitrary external
tables are presented is not going to work.  An exception would be
that we could mandate the unit and representation for a subset of
key important UCDs, e.g., the designated main RA and DEC columns of
a table, if given.  Achieving uniform standards for a few key bits
of metadata is achievable and would have a big impact.

Regarding sexagesimal (for coordinates not ISO times) - we forbid this
in VO data models.  However for an external catalog I would hestitate
to mandate that existing character string columns containing encoded
positions be changed.  Rather it would be sufficient to add new columns
in fixed units and representation.  Again, if we forbid us of certain
UCDs unless certains units and representation are used, this would
pretty much solve this problem while still allowing pass-through of
the original table data.

 	- Doug