content, format, ctype, or xtype ?

Francois Ochsenbein francois at vizier.u-strasbg.fr
Fri May 15 09:03:53 PDT 2009

Hi Arnold,

I imagined the STC-library would solve that ?

Seriously speaking, there are many ways of accomodating a search
in a system different from the one stored in the columns of the
data-base -- the most stupid one being to compute on the fly
the missing coordinates (in your example which represents 25% of
the sky) or using healpix, htm or any other sky sectioning which
patches your region.

If it could already be possible to agree on one common system
(preferably the most accurately defined one) before requiring
that all data servers are storing and delivering their data in
several systems, it would be already a large step toward interoperability !
In the vast majority of applications, a common system is enough:
cross-matching, and searches in circular regions don't require a
specific system, just knowing which one is the standard system,
and expressing our coordinates in that system does the job.

Cheers, Francois