content, format, ctype, or xtype ?

Alberto Micol alberto.micol at eso.org
Fri May 15 03:48:50 PDT 2009

> On 14 May 2009, at 16:38, Tom McGlynn wrote:
>
> 2. We could require that times be specified in a specific format
> (MJD?) but this will require that data providers modify existing
> tables.  So A0 is less desirable.  This is barely feasible if we are
> concerned only with time and positions.  If we go to mandate
> standardization of fluxes, magnitudes, ... as Alberto has suggested
> the uptake will be nil.
Hi Tom,

Regarding the first part of your comment:

Do not get me wrong: data providers should NOT modify existing tables,
this is not what I was saying.

Existing tables and their column are as they are, I am asking the VO to
consider a standardisation on
how those values are transmitted on the wire, such that Interoperability
is increased by using agreed
units and formats for at least the most commonly used quantities.

At the same time, enough information should be available for a client to
reconstruct the original data
if so needed.

Why can't a standard achieve both point of views at the same time?
To me, this is a fundamental question.

Then regarding the second part of your bullet item:

The data provider uptake is certainly important, but NOT at the cost of
Interoperability.

Also, the data provider uptake is not the only uptake worth considering...

We cannot ask the user community to cope with all kinds of formats,
units, ucds, utypes, DMs,
and even multiple versions of those. Users, when utilising the VO, need
to access standard information from multiple sources, not viceversa.

In the end Users shall be able to write their own tools!
And in whatever language they want.

This is the real uptake I'm interested in. User-built tools will be the
real demonstration
that the IVOA has done the right thing.

But if instead the VO is a super duper ontolaccessdatamodeltool that can
digest anything
an astronomer could come up with (and spit off 42), then the Users will
have no control,
and it will become very hard for them to build their own tools. That
would be a disaster...

Sorry it sounds... preaching? that is not my intent. I'm really worried
that we sometimes forget
the "bloody" users...

Alberto