content, format, ctype, or xtype ?

Alberto Micol alberto.micol at eso.org
Fri May 15 00:59:27 PDT 2009

Arnold Rots wrote:
> I would definitely argue that, while you are at it, the list of
> "standard columns" should include both decimal (RA,Dec) AND Galactic
> (l,b).
>
> Although a minority of users (but a significant minority) searches in
> l,b the conversion of bounds is extremely nasty, while the addition of
> the two extra columns is trivial.

And we also store ecliptic coordinates, exactly because our solar system
archive users
need to search in boxes which are time-drifting along the ecliptic
("conversion of bounds is extremely nasty").

So, 3 types of coordinates: equatorial, galactic, and ecliptic, to
satisfy all our communities.

Thanks Arnold,

Alberto

> [...]
>>> Chereau at the
>>> last Interop in Baltimore, that coding a client that can make sense of the
>>> different VOTables
>>> returned by various data provides is a nightmare, then I think that the
>>> solution to expose
>>> to the VO external data as they are, it is actually (from a pragmatic point
>>> of view)
>>> a vo-stopper.
>>> /* Fabien showed how Virgo handles SIA/SSA responses: a mixture of guesses
>>> translated in complicated if/then/else playing with field names, ucds,
>>> utypes, and units
>>> and most of the time even that fails.
>>> */
>>>

>>> If, on the other hand, the server already implements the translation of a
>>> time field
>>> internally stored as "number of seconds since 1-JAN-19xx", into the VO
>>> standard (e.g.) iso8601,
>>> all clients will know what to expect, without having to take any assumption.
>>> Only at the server side the correct knowledge to translate the internal
>>> values
>>> to the VO standard might be available. A client instead might take wrong
>>> assumptions.
>>>
>>> Notice that I am only asking to standardise units and representations, not
>>> reference frames,
>>> and only for few well identified cases.
>>>
>>> So far we have spoken of:
>>>
>>> - angles (decimal degrees) [RA is an angle]
>>> - timestamps/datetimes (iso8601?)
>>>
>>> and I would add
>>>
>>> - time intervals (like exptime, period; in seconds?),
>>> - wavelengths (meters?),
>>> - frequencies (Ghz?),
>>> - energies (keV?).
>>> - magnitudes (in mag, and not in eg dmag)
>>>
>>> more?
>>>
>>> It should not be a big deal to standardise those most used concepts. The rest
>>> untouched.
>>>
>>> Alberto
>>> I appreciate the problem of exposing the original data as they were expressed
>>> by the authors of a catalog.
>>> That is indeed important, and I am even thinking whether we should pass the
>>> original
>>> data untouched (as a display-string attribute?) along with the standard
>>> representation of it.
>>> Again, we are only talking of few quantities here...
>>> Vizier already took this kind of approach when it was decided that the
>>> original catalogs are stored
>>> and served as they were conceived by the authors, but extra columns (e.g.
>>> RA,DEC FK5 J2000)
>>> are computed, stored, and served to allow homogeneous access throughout the
>>> entire collection
>>> (the MAIN ucd was invented, I think, for this).

> Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
> Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                tel:  +1 617 496 7701
> 60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356

Alberto Micol
Telephone: +49 89 32006 261
Fax:       +49 89 32006 898
Virtual Observatory Standards Group Lead
Virtual Observatory Project Office
Data Management and Operations Division
European Southern Observatory