content, format, ctype, or xtype ?

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue May 12 07:42:06 PDT 2009

I agree with Roy - Good job Norman!

On May 12, 2009, at 7:16 AM, Markus Demleitner wrote:

> I'd be still much happier if there could be a separation of
> concerns like my understanding so far:
>
> (a) ucd: What's in the column?
> (b) unit: What's the unit of the values?
> (c) utype: What's the role of this column in a defined data model?
>
> plus, I'd wish,
>
> (d) content, ctype, representation, whatever: What representation
> for a
>    value has been chosen?

- My immediate visceral reaction to all this metadata is that there
are numerous use cases in which practicing astronomers are encouraged
to manipulate their own data holdings into VO compliant formats. We
are likely all skeptical that they will bother with even a fraction of
this.

- The more left-brain response is that perhaps we aren't normalizing
the data structures properly.  Shouldn't some of this complexity be
built into the pertaining data model(s), for instance?

- Or are we sidestepping a responsibility to choose appropriate
defaults?  Units can be forced into narrow options, e.g., RA can be
required to be either the decimal degrees or sexagesimal hours that
correspond to 99.9% of the use cases.  (And bizarre "12 34 56" triple
columns would be recognized as being intrinsically non-compliant with
remediation left to the responsible parties.)

- Or isn't it more appropriate to burden the programmers with the
requirement to recognize a narrow range of formats?  After all,
reasonable code will have to validate the inputs anyway - we can't
just rely on somebody's metadata to be utterly truthful.  Does a
string parse as a number - then it is floating point.  Does it parse
as ISO-8601?

- And it seems like we have yet to even clarify what (a) means.  What
does "What's in the column?" mean, precisely?  Does anybody have the
URL to Tom McGlynn's screed on UCDs?

Rob