content, format, ctype, or xtype ?

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Tue May 12 04:26:15 PDT 2009

Greetings.

Earlier, Rob pointed towards the utype suggestions I made a while ago <http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/latest/utype-uri.html
 >.  These suggestions address this, in the sense that they describe
how, if an application comes across an element annoted with a utype it
does not recognise (perhaps as a result of an update to a data model
far away), it only has to dereference a URL to discover a plain text
list of utypes that the new one is 'like', and it can process the
element as any one of those that it recognises, such as a previous
version, or a very generic notion such as 'date'.  That doesn't
require any updating on the part of the developer -- only some
bookkeeping on the part of the organisation which has updated its data
model and associated utypes.

I didn't see the beginning of this thread (and the archive at <http://www.ivoa.net/forum/dal/
 > only goes up to 21 April), but if utypes (already sitting above
UCDs and still not even defined) are sufficiently incomplete that we
require 'ctype' and 'xtype', too, then I think that has to be regarded
as a defect of utypes.

All the best,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk
Dept Physics and Astronomy, University of Leicester