[TAP] data type for column metadata

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Mar 31 17:23:41 PDT 2009

On 2009-03-31 16:37:08 Douglas Tody wrote:
> But refsystem/refposition/flavor ("flavor" is awful) would only be
> used by coordinate-type columns - for many other table columns they

Yes, these are additional metdata to understand coordinate values, but also
redshifts in catalogues. For the most part they would not be needed.

> would not be used at all.  It might be preferable to compress all
> this information into a single string attribute, as we do with unit,
> ucd, utype, etc.  Perhaps something like "wcs", "system", "frame",

I was initially going in this direction and it is roughly in line with the
library of standard coordinate systems (I think in the appendix of the STC
document), where one has things like ICRS-TOPO. That would simply this alot,
and we could get rid of "flavor". For now, I just wanted to express what is
needed, not necessarily the form it take. Otherwise: yes, this could easily
be encoded in a single attribute and there are examples of that already in
STC.

PS-flavor comes directly from STC :-)

Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Research Council Canada
5071 West Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V9E 2M7

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7