[TAP] data type for column metadata

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Tue Mar 31 14:49:16 PDT 2009

Pat
This is all very comprehensive, and we thank you for your devotion in
factoring all this machine knowledge. But there is also a much simpler
way to do things, and it would be good to point that out in the TAP
document.

The simple way is NOT to implement astronomical time in TAP!

We can just use floats and doubles and strings. A column may be called
MJDtime, and be a real number, and in the natural language description
of that column it says what the values really mean. Users read the
documentation and make their queries: Select * where MJDtime < 54000.0.
No flavor, no refposition, no refsystem. For TAP, Astronomical Epoch is
simply a number.

These automated coordinate transformations are scary enough with Time.
Is the intention now for the TAP engine to do spatial transformations?
For example: "Select points from the X catalog (in B1950 as seen from
Jupiter) which are in the Y region (in heliocentric supergalactic
coordinates)".

Will it be "allowed" by the IVOA to have a TAP engine that does not have
full support for coordinate transformations?
Roy

--

California Institute of Technology
626 395 3670