[TAP] data type for column metadata

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Mar 25 10:37:35 PDT 2009

I don't want to drag this discussion out, but just to make it clear
what my concern is:

When we deal with spatial coordinates people now seem reasonably aware
that there is more to this than just to get a coordinate pair.

The tendency that I saw in the TAP time discussion was that (at least
some) people were (correctly) concerned about whether to treat a time
column as an ISO-8601 string, a datetime data type, or a double (or a
quad, for that matter); but that they then assumed that all had been
solved and we would know exactly what time it was.
That is far from being the case.

I agree that the remaining questions are not necessarily part of this
discussion, but they do need to be kept in mind. And so far I have
seen little evidence that this is the case. The mistaken impression
that anyone who cries "MJD!" has provided all information necessary
presents a dangerous delusion. A system based on this - just to keep
things simple - is going to be useless for many applications.
Oh yes, and similar considerations, of course, apply to redshifts and
Doppler velovcities.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Markus Demleitner wrote:
> Dear DAL folks,
>
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 09:45:00AM -0400, Arnold Rots wrote:
> > Patrick Dowler wrote:
> > > This is more "how to deal with these in an RDBMS" rather than "the right way
> > > to deal with them", but I think that is the issue here :-)
> > My concern is that the present discussion has jummped to "what is the
> > right way" to deal with numbers without first asking what it is that
> > we are dealing with.
> Well, my take on this is that these are two separate issues that
> should be kept separate as far as possible.
>
> The discussion started as "How do we say, in TAP metadata, how a
> given quantity is stored in a database".  Since the database is being
> queried through ADQL, and column types restrict what queries are
> syntactically legal, the question probably should be phrased: "How
> does a certain column look to ADQL?".
>
> A second point was "How is a value for that column transferred?"
> (i.e., do we want a timestamp type or geometry types in VOTable?).
> This is a different, and at least equally involved question.
>
> Both questions ideally are completely unrelated to any interpretation
> -- whether a float represents a magnitude, a polarization, or an error
> for any of these quantities is, of course, decided independently of
> the fact that it is stored as a float.  We have UCDs for that.  Of
> course UCDs are insufficient to hold all the intricacies involved
> with physical quantities, and yet we talk about declaring and
> transferring floats, and rightly so.
>
> Every nontrivial ADQL query will have lots of pitfalls, and the
> resulting tables will require lots of interpretation by both the
> client and the human using it.  I'm afraid that's what science is
> about, and trying to push much of it into protocols will turn their
> descriptions into physics textbooks.  This may be a good thing, but
> will take ages.
>
> > > Yes. In response to Gerard's list of data types in SQL, I mentioned that I
> > > have never found a good use for either DATE or TIME types - only TIMESTAMP.
> > > Maybe other people have a different experience?
> >
> > I'm not talking about a data type, here, but about a concept: it is a
> > generic time stamp, not a spatial coordinate, not a duration, etc.
> Well, but for both TAP and VOTable data types only the fact that
> *some* time is being stored here is relevant.  What time scale it is
> in, whether it's the time some GRB could be detected on Antares or
> the start of an exposure has nothing to do with data or legal queries
> but is entirely an issue of metadata and interpretation.
>
> I'm not saying it's unimportant, I'm just saying that it doesn't
> matter for purposes of storing or transferring data.  I would also
> maintain that it doesn't matter for writing queries, since, as
> pointed out above, I have strong doubts that we want to build so
> much physics into your protocol that queries "violating physics"
> become some kind of error.

> [...]
Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu